Monday, November 14, 2011

Lemon Chicken Soup

I found this recipe in Giada De Laurentiis’ cookbook, Giada at Home. I met her at a book signing at the The Incredible Food Show last year. She’s my favorite celebrity chef. Probably because I have a love for all things Italian. I was so excited to watch her cook and meet her too! I’ve made a few recipes from the book but this one seems to make an appearance in my kitchen most. Nothing warms the soul like chicken soup. I love how the lemon brightens the soups flavor. I made it for Amanda and Josh this weekend when we went for a visit to see baby Cooper. More on that to come…

IMG_6364
IMG_6357
IMG_6365

Recipe:
  • 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice  (about 2 lemons)
  • 1 dried bay leaf  
  • 1 medium onion, finely diced
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces or any short pasta
  • 2 cups diced cooked rotisserie chicken, preferably breast meat
  • 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • salt
In a large stockpot, bring the chicken broth, lemon juice, and bay leaf, to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat so the mixture simmers and cook until vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until pasta is tender. Add the chicken and heat through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Remove the pot from heat. Stir in the cheese. Season with salt, to taste.
 
Enjoy!

2 comments: